- On your network, you must first install the VMAN (Virtualization Manager) tool.
- Open this link and use the options to download the product. You can choose to evaluate the product by taking advantage of SolarWinds’ two-week free trial, which is available on all of their products.
Virtualization Manager Installation
Follow the steps below to install the product after you’ve downloaded the installer:
- First and foremost, run the installer that you downloaded from the link mentioned above.
- On the first tab of the Orion Installer, you’ll be asked to select the type of Installation you want. Lightweight Installation is the best option for evaluation because it installs all of the required components on your system. However, if you want to use an existing SQL Server, Standard Installation should be your first choice.
- Then, on the Select Products page, make sure the Virtualization Manager is selected before clicking the Next button.
- Allow the Orion Installer to run some system checks before proceeding. Following that, you’ll be asked to accept the license agreement. Accept their terms and move on to the next step.
- The SolarWinds Orion Installer will begin downloading the Virtualization Manager required files and installing them on your system. Wait for it to finish before clicking the Finish button.
- The Configuration Wizard should appear after the Orion Installer has finished. If you chose the Standard Installation option earlier, you’d need to enter your database settings here. Follow the wizard’s instructions to configure your database, then wait for it to finish.
- When it’s finished, click the Finish button.
Hyper-V should be added to the Orion Platform.
- You can use the Orion web console to add your Hyper-V devices to the Orion Platform for monitoring purposes now that you’ve installed the Virtualization Manager on your system.
- The Orion web console should automatically open in a web browser after closing the Configuration Wizard at “hostnameORIPaddress:8787,” where 8787 is the default port.
- Simply type the above address into your browser to get to the web console if it doesn’t.
Follow the steps below to add your Hyper-V devices to the Orion Platform once the web console is up and running:
- First and foremost, if this is your first time accessing the web console, you will be prompted to create a password for the admin account. After you’ve created a password for the admin account, click the Save and Login button.
- After logging into the web console, go to the Settings drop-down menu and select the All Settings option.
- Click the Add VMware, Hyper-V, or Nutanix entities option on the All Settings page, under Getting Started with Orion.
- Select Hyper-V Host from the Type of Object tab, and then click the Next button.
- Then, on the Polling and Creds tab, enter the virtual object’s IP address, followed by the Hyper-V account’s credentials.
- After you’ve entered all of your credentials, click the Next button.
- You can see what types of metrics Virtualization Manager will track on the Metrics page.
- Then, to complete adding the virtual object to the Orion Platform, click the Finish button.
Hyper-V Resources can be tracked.
- The Hyper-V object has now been added to the Virtualization Manager tool. The Virtualization Manager begins monitoring the Hyper-V host after you finish adding it to the Orion Platform.
- You’ll need to give the Virtualization Manager some time to gather enough data to display it for you.
- Navigate to My Dashboards > Virtualization > Hyper-V to see a summary of the newly added devices.
- You can then keep track of the various types of resources that your devices are consuming.
Features of the Virtualization Manager include:
- Management of virtualization performance in its entirety
- Capacity planning tools that are extremely effective
- Management of VM sprawl
- Prediction-based advice
- Manage on-premises, hybrid, and cloud environments.
- Having visibility across the entire application stack is essential.
I hope you found this helpful guide. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the form below.