Here we can see, “How to use Storage Resource Monitor to monitor your storage resources?”
Storage management is vital. Storage management software is common in IT environments. But that is rarely enough. Why? Because managing storage resources becomes increasingly difficult as networks grow in size and complexity. As a network grows, you will need to add more arrays to meet your needs, making management tough. Most IT settings use third-party storage monitoring tools for this. A single array failure can have a huge impact on your network, which you do not want as a corporation. An error can put you far behind your competitors.
Storage Resource Monitor Setup
To begin, download Storage Resource Monitor from the SolarWinds website. The link is here. Click ‘Download Free Tool’ to begin your 30-day fully functional evaluation. Download the Orion module. You can buy a license from the website if you like the software. After downloading the utility, follow the steps below to install it on your system:
- After the tool has been downloaded, run it.
- Watch the Orion Installer load. Select Lightweight Installation and click Browse to alter the tool’s installation directory when the installation process appears. Next.
- On the Products page, pick Storage Resource Monitor and click Next.
- A few system checks by the installer. Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- The installer will download Storage Resource Monitor installers. Wait for the tool to install.
- As soon as the installation is complete, the Configuration Wizard will launch and configure the program for your system. Next.
- Make sure the services are selected and click Next.
- Hit Next again to start the wizard. Wait for the end.
After installing the tool, you can start monitoring your storage arrays by adding them to the Storage Resource Monitor. To do so, you must first enable your storage arrays. We can’t show you how to enable your storage arrays because each manufacturer has its technique. But due to Solarwinds, you can discover how on their website. Click this site, find your vendor, then click the link provided in front of your array. This will enable your array without any troubles.
Adding an Array
Your arrays are now ready to be added to the Storage Resource Monitor. With the SRM Summary page, you can monitor your arrays. To add an array, follow these steps:
- Launch Orion Web Console. If this is your first time using the console, you will be prompted to create a password. Enter Orion Web Console.
- Go to My Dashboard > Storage Summary.
- Under Getting Started with Storage Resource Monitor, click Add Storage Device.
- Select your array type from the drop-down option and click Next.
- Add SMI-S Provider from the Data Source page. Fill in the IP address and other information.
- By selecting Advanced, you can modify the default protocol ports and namespaces.
- Click Test Credential to verify them. Then click Next.
- On the Data Targets screen, select the array type you want to monitor and click Next.
- When the Results page with licensing and other information appears, click Finish.
- To begin monitoring, go to My Dashboard > Storage Summary.
After adding your storage arrays, you may begin monitoring them. When viewing the Storage Summary page, there are four things to keep in mind. To begin, click the Add Storage Device option to add more storage devices. You can see all of your added devices under All Storage Objects. The devices with the most serious performance difficulties are listed below. Click on an entry to learn more about it. On the left, you can see the Storage Resource Monitor’s notifications. Each alert has a link to more information.
How to monitor storage performance?
Storage performance monitoring solutions can track performance indicators across all storage arrays to help with monitoring and diagnostics.
SRM in SolarWinds
SolarWinds Storage Resource Monitor (SRM) monitors storage performance and capacity to help you identify and handle storage issues. SRM supports numerous devices and suppliers, enabling real-time visibility across all storage levels.
Task Manager’s Resource Monitor
Microsoft’s Resource Monitor utility shows real-time data on CPU, memory, storage, and network usage. Resource Monitor is launched using resmon.exe (perfmon.exe in Windows Vista).
What are the benefits of capacity monitoring in a storage infrastructure?
Storage space difficulties can be avoided by regularly monitoring the storage environment. Hardware issues can be recognized early.
What is Storage Monitor?
The Storage Monitor monitors the contents of the Tool Cupboard, Large Storage Box, and Vending Machine. This is used to update the container.