What is the purpose of NetFlow Analyzer?
NetFlow Analyzer is a comprehensive traffic analytics tool that provides real-time visibility into the network’s bandwidth utilisation. In its primary role as a bandwidth monitoring tool, NetFlow Analyzer helps hundreds of networks worldwide optimise their network bandwidth and traffic patterns by providing a comprehensive picture of the network’s capacity and traffic patterns. It is a single solution that collects, analyses, and provides information about what your network bandwidth is being used for and by whom. It is available for both Windows and Linux operating systems. NetFlow Analyzer is a trusted partner that optimises the bandwidth utilisation of over a million interfaces throughout the world, in addition to conducting network forensics, network traffic analysis, and network flow monitoring functions.
Do not be concerned; the technique is detailed in the material provided by Solarwinds, which can be accessed here. You can also use a free version of the application with restricted features to examine NetFlow on your network, available on their website. The instruction can now be started after you have completed the installation of the tool.
Identifying Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
It is necessary to first identify the consumers of network bandwidth to monitor network bandwidth use. This is significant since it aids in the identification of the underlying source of the problem. As a default, Solarwinds NTA sends out alerts when the bandwidth use (also known as bandwidth hogs) surpasses the administrator defines a particular predefined value. The default setting is 75% of the total. Changes can be made by navigating to Alerts and Activity > Alerts and selecting the appropriate option. After that, navigate to Manage Alerts and group them by Trigger Actions Type from the drop-down bar, after which you may pick Email a Web Page from the list of options. You can alter the value of the default alerts by selecting them from the drop-down menu.
When a bandwidth consumption warning is generated on your network, you will be able to identify the top talkers (the users who spend the most bandwidth). Once an alert has been triggered, you will receive an automated email notifying you of the event. Here’s how to figure out who the most influential people are:
- To find out who the most talked-about people are, log into the account you created when you configured the alert. This is the email address to which the alert message will be sent. Next, please open the email in question and click on the link included within it. If you click on this, you will be redirected to the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer interface details page, where you may find out more about the interface that triggered the alert.
- Take a look at the resource graph for the Top 5 Endpoints. Which endpoint is consuming the greatest amount of bandwidth will be shown by this method.
- To check the specifics of the endpoint consuming the most bandwidth, choose it from the graph and click on it.
- You will be able to identify the users utilising the majority of the bandwidth based on the information provided.
Keeping track of how much bandwidth is being used
- Navigate to NetFlow Interface Details and select the interface on which you want to apply filters. For example, the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer interfaces can be accessed under My Dashboards > NetFlow Traffic Analysis.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, select Flow Navigator from the drop-down menu.
- To change the period, pick Relative Period> 1 month from the Period drop-down menu.
- In the Flow Direction drop-down menu, choose Ingress.
- Next, under Advanced Applications, choose an application that you want to see directly in the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Views toolbar by selecting it from the list.
- Finally, click on the Submit button to complete the process.
Frequently Asked Questions by Users:
How do I find out how much bandwidth I’m using?
If your Internet service provider tracks your bandwidth usage and restricts your access to certain websites, they most likely have a page on their account website that displays how much data you’ve used in the last month. After all, they’re already keeping track of your data consumption on their side of the equation.
What is the best way to keep track of how much bandwidth each device is using?
The router is the most accurate place to look for information on how much bandwidth is utilised by your network devices. This is because your router serves as a hub for all of your devices. By utilising each device’s IP and MAC addresses, you will be able to determine the data usage information for each device in the router’s configuration.
How can I keep track of my Internet activity?
There are numerous methods for keeping track of Internet browsing behaviour, but the most basic and cost-effective are monitoring the browser history, reading temporary Internet cache files, and tracking Internet activity with the network router.
What percentage of the available bandwidth is being used?
The bandwidth consumed on a network or network segment and the breakdown of its composite traffic is referred to as bandwidth utilisation. They can trace traffic over huge and complex networks and identify how bandwidth is utilised by utilising sophisticated network monitoring tools.
What is the NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, and how does it work?
SolarWinds® NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) allows you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.