Here we can see, “How to Easily Manage Multiple Cisco Routers and Switches Configurations”
- Various solutions that automate configuring config files for network devices such as routers and switches have been introduced.
- Setting up config files, on the other hand, is insufficient. Changes to the configuration files of network devices are required as the network grows, and more devices are added.
- Without the right tool, you won’t be able to keep track of the modifications you’ve made, and you’ll never know which one caused a network problem.
Config Viewer is a tool that allows you to view configuration files.
- Engineers Toolset is a tool developed by Solarwinds to assist in the resolution of this problem and a variety of other networking challenges (download here).
- We’ll use this programme to go at the Cisco router and switch configuration files in today’s session. So, download the Engineers Toolset from the provided URL and install it on your PC.
What is the purpose of the Config Viewer Tool?
The SolarWinds Config Viewer can be used in various ways: Cisco router and switch configurations can be downloaded. Compare Cisco router and switch configurations depending on dates. View and change the configurations of operating routers and switches.
Managing Cisco Router and Switch Configuration Files
As previously stated, the Config Viewer tool may be used to execute a variety of config management tasks, including modifying running-config files, producing a backup of the files, and diagnosing any difficulties that may have arisen due to recent config file modifications. Everything is extremely simple, so follow along.
Downloading a Configuration File
- Go to the Start Menu and type Engineers Toolset LaunchPad into the search box.
- Once the launchpad is open, go to Config Management and click the Launch button Config Viewer on the left-hand side. You may also use the search field to look for the tool and then click the Launch button. Whatever you want.
- Click the Select Router button when the Config Viewer tool loads.
- The device’s IP address or hostname should be provided.
- Afterwards, either supply SNMP v3 credentials or specify a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) community string.
- Click the Test button to verify the credentials you’ve entered.
- You can choose whether or not to save the specified credentials in the shared credentials database when prompted.
- Then, to obtain a config file, click the Download option.
- Finally, select the config file you want to download, whether it’s one of the presently running-config files or something else.
Comparing and Contrasting Two Configuration Files
- Click the File drop-down menu in the menu bar, then the Compare Two Config Files option to compare two config files.
- After that, specify the location of each of the configuration files.
- The config viewer will compare the two files side by side, highlighting any changes made in yellow. If you notice a red line, it signifies that lines from the config file are missing. Finally, the green colour denotes the presence of more lines.
- If you want to print the comparisons, go to File and then the Print option.
- To decrypt passwords, choose the device, open a config from the system, and then open the configuration file.
- After that, select Edit from the drop-down menu, and then Decrypt Password from the drop-down menu.
- In a couple of seconds, the config viewer will decode Cisco type 7 login passwords.
- Once it’s finished, the decrypted passwords will be highlighted in a green hue, making them easier to recognise.
In addition, the Config Viewer includes functions such as traceroute, ping, and telnet, which may be accessible via the IP Address drop-down option on the menu bar. You’ll need to choose an IP address for this to work.
I hope you found this information helpful. Please fill out the form below if you have any questions or comments.
What is the configuration management system ideal for Cisco device management?
Our picks for the finest network configuration management (NCM) tools are as follows: EDITOR’S CHOICE: SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Configuration management for Windows Server that is top of the line. It can manage any brand of a network device, but Cisco equipment provides additional features.
What is the best way to link numerous Cisco routers?
Connecting two routers back-to-back can be done in a variety of ways. 1: Link via Ethernet ports: Use a crossover cable to connect the routers directly via two Ethernet ports using a crossover cable. 2: Connect through serial ports: connect the serial ports using a DCE/DTE connection.
Is there a graphical user interface for Cisco switches?
Each switch includes a web browser, often known as a graphical user interface (GUI). The GUI can be accessed via the service port interface or the management interface. The service-port interface is the one we propose. To access online assistance, click Help at the top of any page in the GUI.
What is Auvik’s strongest suit?
Auvik is a fantastic tool for laying out your network. It’s really useful to have an overview of your networked devices and how they’re all connected. And because you can see everything, even the virtual switch ports in use, it’s great for debugging outages and connectivity issues.